In today’s world, it is very important to have the ability to code computer programs. There are many programming languages available e.g. Java, C++, Python etc. but these are very high-level programming languages and might be difficult to learn at an early age but there are few languages e.g. Scratch which is specially designed for younger students. When people learn to code in Scratch, they learn important strategies for solving problems, designing projects, and communicating ideas. In this post, I am going to explain what is Scratch and step by step guide of creating a new account in Scratch.
What is Scratch?
Scratch is a project of the Lifelong Kindergarten Group at the MIT Media Lab and it is free to use. It is a block-based programming language specifically designed for ages 8 to 16 but people of any age can use it. Millions of people around the world creating Scratch projects in a wide variety of settings, including homes, schools, museums, libraries, and community centres. It is relevant to future coding techniques and is extremely reliable to use. You are able to share your programs with people all around the world, and you are able to view other people’s programs to gain ideas from them. You can share and like other games as well as remixing them.
How to Join Scratch?
1. In order to create an account in scratch, open your browser and go to Scratch.
2. Once the page is loaded, click on “Join Scratch” as mentioned in the image below.
3. Once you click on “Join Scratch”, it will open “Join Scratch” wizard as mentioned in the image below. This wizard will guide you through the account opening process.
4. In order to join Scratch, you require providing Username and Password. Select the Username which is unique and easy to remember for you as you require to provide it on every login. Enter your Username in “Choose a Scratch Username” text box. Now, enter your password in “Choose a Password” text box. Make sure your password is hard to guess, contains a combination of upper and lower case letter, numbers and special symbols. Never share your password with anyone else someone can misuse it. Enter the same password in “Confirm password” field. If the password in “Choose a password” and “Confirm Password” doesn’t match then Scratch will give you an error. Once you enter your username and password, click the “Next” button.
5. Upon clicking the “Next” button, if there is no error then you will be moved to Step 2 of the wizard. In this step, Scratch is collecting some personal information. As this information is mandatory to enter if you are not comfortable to provide it then just falsify it. Once you enter the required information, press the “Next” button.
6. Upon clicking the “Next” button, if there is no error then you will be moved to Step 3 of the wizard. This step will prompt you to enter your email address if you are 18 years and above else it will prompt you to enter your parent’s / guardian’s email address. Enter the same email address in both the text boxes. If they don’t match then it will show an error. Make sure you or your parent/guardian have access to this email address as Scratch will send an account confirmation email to this address. If you would like to receive updates from Scratch team then check “Receive updates from the Scratch Team” checkbox. Click the “Next” button
7. If everything is successful then you will be able to see the “Welcome” screen.
8. Once you click on “OK Lets Go!” button, you will be logged into Scratch. Now, you can explore different Scratch functionality.
Congratulations!! You have just opened a new account in Scratch. Once you are logged in, you can browse different sections of the Home page.